In celebration of the canonization of one of the Church’s newest saints, Servant Books is proud to present this small book of meditations for the seasons of Advent and Christmas, including special feast days associated with those seasons. Mother Teresa’s life and writings, marked by a spirit of humility, simplicity and love, encourage readers to quiet their hearts as they prepare to receive the Lord.
Heidi Hess Saxton’s Advent with St. Teresa of Calcutta captures the humble yet faith-filled spirit of this great lady of Calcutta. Each day of the Advent seasons, readers are invited to pray, and to consider what they might offer the Lord as their gift to him during this Christmas season. St. Teresa’s example calls readers to consider how they might love more deeply, surrender more completely, and let go of all the things they do not need, so there is more room to receive from the Lord all he wishes them to have.
For those who wander in darkness, St. Teresa of Calcutta is a true
patron of joy yet to be discovered.
Heidi Hess Saxton is a freelance writer, editor, and author of several books including Lent with Saint Teresa of Calcutta. She writes for parents of adopted, foster, and special-needs children at her blog “A Mother on the Road Less Traveled.” She and her husband Craig are adoptive parents of two teenage children.
1. There are so many books about Mother Teresa already on the market – including some that paint her in a controversial or unflattering light. What’s different about this book?
2. Donna-Marie Cooper O’Boyle was a personal friend of Mother Teresa’s, and provided the foreword for this book. You never actually met Mother Teresa … So what made you decide to write this yourself, rather than asking Donna to write it?
3. Several times in the book you write about your children’s adoption, and your journey to parenthood. How does your experience of motherhood compare with St. Teresa’s?
4. Who do you think will most appreciate Advent with St. Teresa of Calcutta? Is it appropriate for group use?
5. As you were doing the research for this book, did any story in particular leap out at you and make you feel closer to St. Teresa, or more inclined to ask her to pray for you?
“Advent with St. Teresa of Calcutta is the perfect prayer companion for my Advent journey. Heidi’s anecdotes and interesting facts about St. Teresa, plus the inclusion of all three cycles of readings, complement the brief but inspiring reflections and daily prayers that make this a versatile book for the Advent season. Perfect for personal reflection or a family devotional.”
—Maria Morera Johnson, author, My Badass Book of Saints
“Heidi Saxton’s reflections lead us along a path of holiness as we walk daily with St. Teresa of Calcutta. This book helps us to journey through Advent and special feasts of the Christmas season as we deepen our love of Christ.”
—Kathleen Egan, OSB, coauthor, Suffering Into Joy: What Mother Teresa Teaches About True Joy
“In this beautifully written devotional, author and editor Heidi Hess
Saxton gives us the life, writings, and prayers of St. Teresa of Calcutta to help us ready our hearts to welcome our Lord. The meditations, reflection questions, and applications on the daily liturgical readings draw us closer week by week to the coming of our Savior. I suggest that you let St. Teresa join your family around your Advent wreath and let her joyful spirit refresh you as you anticipate Christmas.”
—Bert Ghezzi, author, Voices of the Saints